Wednesday, March 11, 2009

soppressata

My next attempted creation will be a soppressata. I say attempted because this one didn't turn out with a positive result. I decided to post all results of each attempt as without failures we don't learn, and without learning we can't become educated. I'll keep this post shorter and to the point with an explanation as to why the attempt failed and what the suspect salami will look like.

The recipe for this salami (which was also my first) is as follows:

8 lbs. Pork shoulder
2lbs Fat Back
6 Tbs Kosher Salt
1 cup Powdered Milk
2 Tbs Dextrose
2 tsp Cure #2
4tsp White pepper
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1 Tbs Red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp starter culture (I used F-RM-52 for this batch)
1/2 cup dry wine

The recipe was taken from
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20soppresata%202.pdf

I mixed my spices well in a spice grinder until well mixed.

Adding to the meat prior to grinding I put in my wine, then starter culture. I believe this is where i went wrong. Adding the starter culture before the wine was properly mixed into the meat well enough brought the two into contact with one another with the alcohol killing the culture before it had time to react.

The result was apparent immediately following the fermentation process with the casing separating from the salami showing a odder brownish tint rather that a healthier red tint that the fermentation process will usually display. Here they are after being stuffed and tied.

Photobucket

A photo below will show the two different colors as they appeared.

Photobucket

In review, notice the salami to the far right both front and rear. You may notice the difference in appearance with the healthier red color of the other salamis in front and the rather tan or browner colored salami directly behind it.

The result was even further apparent when the salamis were cut and observed though the cross section.

Though it didn't look so bad, the tell tale smell was quite evident that something had gone horribly wrong. Whenever you notice things that are not quite right, follow your instincts as you are given these for a reason. The nose always knows!

Personally, given the odor, I don't think they could have been mistaken for a healthy tasty salami.

I was able to communicate my concerns with the author of the recipe and he was gracious enough to express his concerns and suggestions. As a benefit in following his advice I now know what I did wrong, the results and can pass this knowledge on to others.

So, that's it. Two for the bin!

Next.... Felino Salami

No comments:

Post a Comment