Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lonzino

Moving on to the lonzino which was started about a week after the bresaola, this post will describe how it was prepared cold cured, cased and tied for hanging.

I started by selecting a full pork loin with an appropriate diameter. I find myself lucky to get my meats from a packing house that is willing to let me pick and choose what I want to use in my projects. While salamis don't really need such attention, I feel solid muscle cures do and I go to these lengths to help assure my projects come out in a positive manner.

Moving on now I prepared the porkloin by sizing it to the casing. I applied a dry cure using the following ingrediants:

8 lbs. Pork loin (a full loin)
3Tbs Salt
1-1/2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1tsp Cure #2
1Tbs Black Pepper
1-1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

Recipe taken from: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/lonzino.pdf

I mixed these ingrediants and ran them through the spice grinder until mixed well. Next I rubbed the cure into the pork loin well using the whole amount of the seasoned cure.

The loin was stored in a refridgerated cooler at 36*F for 14 days for cold curing. Upon removing the porkloin it was thoroughly rinsed and stuffed into a 90mm collagen casing. I tied the cased loin using a butchers twine like so.

Photobucket

In the fermentation process I held the lonzino for 16 hours at 80*F and at a relative humidity of 80%. Following fermentation the subject was moved to the curing chamber where it was held at 58* F for approximately 35 days. The photos below will show it's progress.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The flavor was very much like a proscuitto and it takes just a fraction of the time to make. I've used it in bruschetta, subs, and on it's own drizzled with peppered olive oil and lemon.
It makes a great appetizer or late night snack. Here is a photo of a dish served with bresaola.

Photobucket

Next..... A dry cured Coppa (Cappocollo)

No comments:

Post a Comment